Metal From Finland Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite metal guitarist(s)

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Favorite metal guitarist(s) Empty Favorite metal guitarist(s)

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:35 pm

Well I was inspired by Ravisk with the topic about best guitar duos and decided to make a topic for favorite metal guitarists, both in Finland and the rest of the world. Here is my list (In no particular order):

Jari Mäenpää (Wintersun) (He's my personal favorite Cool )
Micheal Romeo (Symphony X)
Jesper Strömblad (In Flames)
Antti Kokko (Kalmah)
Zachary Hietala (Tarot)
Emppu Vuorinen (Nightwish, Brother Firetribe)
Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
Randy Rhodes (Ozzy Osbourne R.I.P)
Dimebag Darrell (Pantera, Damageplan R.I.P)
Dave Murray/Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden)

Those are some of my favorites. What about you? Question

Back to top Go down

Favorite metal guitarist(s) Empty Re: Favorite metal guitarist(s)

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:13 pm

Go Empu!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:17 pm

CanuckFan wrote:Go Empu!

Emppu is really amazing actually, and is overlooked horribily. I love his style mainly because he isn't trying to be the fastest (he can play fast if he wants to, but chooses not to sometimes.). He plays with a lot of feeling. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:18 pm

And I love to watch him live! He's really entertaining and engaging & I love how he & Marco interact.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:27 pm

CanuckFan wrote:And I love to watch him live! He's really entertaining and engaging & I love how he & Marco interact.

They seem like best buds on stage, don't they? He also has the most EPIC stance EVER!! Cool :

Favorite metal guitarist(s) 7777323_IMG_3527

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:35 pm

Yesssss! I love this guy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:43 pm

CanuckFan wrote:Yesssss! I love this guy!

Emppu rules! Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:49 pm

I'd add Kiko Loureiro, John Petrucci and Johan Reinholdz. Moreover, I really like the style of Tuomas Seppälä from Amberian Dawn - he plays keyboards live, though, even though he composes and plays the guitar parts, as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:53 pm

@ Almagest:

Tuomas Seppälä from Amberian Dawn

YES!!!!! bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Almagest wrote:I'd add Kiko Loureiro, John Petrucci and Johan Reinholdz. Moreover, I really like the style of Tuomas Seppälä from Amberian Dawn - he plays keyboards live, though, even though he composes and plays the guitar parts, as well.

Opps, forgot Kiko and John..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:14 pm

James: I really like what I've heard from Stephan Forté so far. Seeing how you love Symphony X, you should really check his project Adagio out. It has started out as something in between progressive and symphonic power metal but Forté started to integrate more extreme elements recently. I strongly recommend Adagio to anyone who likes (shred-oriented) metal-classical crossovers.

What do you think about Ritchie Blackmore, Yngwie or Timo Tolkki? Or Luca Turilli? Kai Hansen, Michael Weikath? Thomas Youngblood? Steve Vai? etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:26 pm

Almagest wrote:James: I really like what I've heard from Stephan Forté so far. Seeing how you love Symphony X, you should really check his project Adagio out. It has started out as something in between progressive and symphonic power metal but Forté started to integrate more extreme elements recently. I strongly recommend Adagio to anyone who likes (shred-oriented) metal-classical crossovers.

What do you think about Ritchie Blackmore, Yngwie or Timo Tolkki? Or Luca Turilli? Kai Hansen, Michael Weikath? Thomas Youngblood? Steve Vai? etc.

I'll check those guys out. Sounds cool Dude, I could list an eternity of ppl who are guitarists that have made a significant impact on metal Laughing . Yngwie is one of my favorite players too, but I forgot to include him.. Razz Those other guys are all very good too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:21 pm

Almagest wrote:James: I really like what I've heard from Stephan Forté so far. Seeing how you love Symphony X, you should really check his project Adagio out. It has started out as something in between progressive and symphonic power metal but Forté started to integrate more extreme elements recently. I strongly recommend Adagio to anyone who likes (shred-oriented) metal-classical crossovers.

Haha I love Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert and Joe Satriani \m/ \m/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:07 pm

Beyond going into who's a really good guitarist (because there are many), my favorites are probably Alexi Laiho and Petri Lindroos.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:49 pm

James: Can you make a top five (or so) list of your favourite Finnish guitarists?

In the interview I mentioned in another thread, Mike said the following:

At the moment, Tarja Turunen is my main job, perhaps the best gig I've ever had. I'll do everything to support this woman, who, by the way, is everything but a diva. You know, I've worked with male divas who where far less popular than her.
I suppose he is talking about Yngwie. Razz

But I've read that Yngwie regrets that time now. He said he was always shitfaced, now that he's sober he can appreciate everything so much more.

I've found this quote on this forum devoted to neoclassical metal:

I always thought Chris Impelleteri was a big YJM clone.
He approached Yngwie in a bar in L.A once and said he had been playing the same style as long as YJM only Yngwie got famous before him. Malmsteen was pissed at that and on hearing his material said 'Anyone can learn to type real quick but not everyone can write a good novel!' tongue
What do you think about Matias Kupiainen?

When they announced him as the new Strato guitarist, I remembered that he was the winner of that "Guitar Heroes" competition. I actually translated the Finnish article on him to English, so that English Wikipedia now has an article about him, too. Not because I'm a fan, just because the missing article bothered me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:52 pm

Almagest, would you want me to start a new thread on the MFF area of this forum perhaps?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:52 pm

LOLS The Finnish Answer to G3

Alexi Laiho/Petri Lindroos/Jari Maenpaa
Alexi Laiho/Roope Latvala/Jani Liimatainen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:58 pm

@ Almagest:

You should add that Neo-classical metal site to the links thread!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:44 pm

efin7184 wrote:Almagest, would you want me to start a new thread on the MFF area of this forum perhaps?
Yeah, why not? You can go into more detail if you like, then and rave all you want. Very Happy

CanuckFan: Will do! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:45 pm

Almagest wrote:
efin7184 wrote:Almagest, would you want me to start a new thread on the MFF area of this forum perhaps?
Yeah, why not? You can go into more detail if you like, then and rave all you want. Very Happy

CanuckFan: Will do!

Already there Almagest! Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:53 am

Almagest, I forget Jason Becker. He's a great neo-classical guitarist! I like him more than Malmsteen personally:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:13 am

Amazing! I'm not a fan of the guitar tone, though.

Let's not forget the great-grandfather of all shredders. RIP Les Paul.

(This ain't metal by a long shot, but still ... mind-boggingly far ahead of its time. I find it to sound astounding, still nowadays.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:30 am

Almagest wrote:Amazing! I'm not a fan of the guitar tone, though.

Let's not forget the great-grandfather of all shredders. RIP Les Paul.

(This ain't metal by a long shot, but still ... mind-boggingly far ahead of its time. I find it to sound astounding, still nowadays.)

You're right! I miss him already. RIP Les Paul.. Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:46 am

He had a good life, though. What more can you strive for as a musician than to revolutionise the world of music, have your name immortalised as the name of a type of instrument that you more or less invented and keep doing what you love until that late in your life? That's what I call blessed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:56 am

Almagest wrote:He had a good life, though. What more can you strive for as a musician than to revolutionise the world of music, have your name immortalised as the name of a type of instrument that you more or less invented and keep doing what you love until that late in your life? That's what I call blessed.

Exactly right! Cool Thank goodness he had that skill! We wouldn't have the metal like we do today if it weren't for him!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:19 am

We've talked so much about neo-classical shredders now - how about guitarists with other styles? I've mentioned Mustaine somewhere on MFF because of this:

He did mention that he has finnish ancestory, wayback when Mustaine's were "Mustonen".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:25 am

Almagest wrote:We've talked so much about neo-classical shredders now - how about guitarists with other styles? I've mentioned Mustaine somewhere on MFF because of this:

He did mention that he has finnish ancestory, wayback when Mustaine's were "Mustonen".

Well, the Finnish blood seem to know good metal after all! Cool

What do you think of my new avatar? Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:36 am

Is that you? Laughing

Ah, there's another important classically influenced guitarist I've missed: Randy Rhoads. Again, RIP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:01 pm

Almagest wrote:Is that you? Laughing

Ah, there's another important classically influenced guitarist I've missed: Randy Rhoads. Again, RIP.

Yep, that's me with my guitar! Laughing

Randy Rhodes was amazing. "Blizzard of Ozz" is such an amazing album! I own it. Cool

R.I.P. Randy. Died WAY too soon... Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:36 pm

At this moment it's Elias Viljanen. (Sonata Arctica) He plays Ibanez guitar and i love that sound and in my eyes he is a very great guitarplayer!

But other guitarplayers in my top list are:

Brian May (ok he is not metal but a rock guiitarist)
Tony Iomi
Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi)
Marcus Jidell (Royal Hunt)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next