Metal From Finland Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indica - Fairy metal (?)

2 posters

Go down

Indica - Fairy metal (?) Empty Indica - Fairy metal (?)

Post by Guest Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:40 pm

Okay okay, so they're not really metal. Razz

Now that that's done, here is a little something about Indica for those of you who don't know about them:

Jonsu (vocals, violin), Heini (bass), Sirkku (keyboards), Jenny (guitar) and Laura (drums) founded Indica in 2001. Before this the girls had already spent their entire childhood surrounded by classical music and had also played in a few different band line-ups. In the Christmas of 2002 Indica signed a management contract with Peter Kokljuschin and in 2003 a record deal with SonyMusic, leading to Indica starting work on their debut album.

The album was co-produced by Gabi Hakanen and Erno Laitinen, and from here began the journey of Indica and Erno together which took them through three albums. The 30,000 platinum-selling debut album Ikuinen virta was released in 2004, and from this album the title track as well as the song Scarlett were released as singles. Indica's second record Tuuliset tienoot was released in the autumn of 2005 and went on to sell over 20,000 discs, and the third album Kadonnut puutarha was released in spring 2007.

Indica's music and lyrics are written by the band's charismatic singer Jonsu, who started her composer's career even before she went to school, writing little 'symphonies' two bars long. Jonsu has explained that to her the biggest inspirational source for writing music is the music from movies. The lyrics stem from her own life, the lives of her friends, and also from dreams.

Indica, known for their playful and lively stage presence and their distinctive music, went travelling outside Finland near the close of 2007 when they performed as the support act for Nightwish during their Scandinavian tour. Indica were well received in the other Nordic countries. A tight collaboration between Indica and Nightwish frontman Tuomas Holopainen started on this tour, aimed at creating the next album. Tuomas is the producer of the fourth Indica longplayer, released autumn 2008 and titled Valoissa. The first single Pahinta tänään from the forthcoming album has already been released, and an accompanying music video directed by Jesse Hietanen has also been filmed.
That is from their official website which you can find HERE.
And their MYSPACE.
And FACEBOOK.
And their ROYAL ARTIST CLUB thingy, with lots of subtitles in Finnish, so except me to open a "HELP! What does that mean and why is Finnish so complicated??!" thread anytime now. Razz

Anyhoooo. I was introduced to Indica through Nightwish, when they invited Jonsu to sing on Erämaan Viimeinen. Quite frankly, I asked myself if Jonsu could actually sing plenty of times - as her voice seemed like something else to me -, and kept doing so even after listening to some of Indica's own songs. But then, for some reason, I had to change my mind and now I love them. Very Happy I saw them live in London earlier this year as one of the opening acts for Nightwish, and the only thing I regret is that they sang in English. I got many of these looks -> scratch because I sang (read screamed) all the songs in Finnish. Or something that I hope resembled Finnish. Razz My friend and I got to talk to Jonsu and Heini for a microsecond and all were kind enough to sign my albums.

So what else do you need to know? They are going to release an album in English, produced by Tuomas Holopainen of Nightwish. And, er....... well, I know they've been described several times as fairy metal lol! but it makes sense, seriously! If you're only into grunts and whatnot, then you might want to stay away from them. Very Happy

Discuss!

Back to top Go down

Indica - Fairy metal (?) Empty Re: Indica - Fairy metal (?)

Post by Guest Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:16 am

Well...I love Indica. Girls are not bad at all!
I saw them live with Nightwish & Pain. They were really good =)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:04 pm

OK, I just viewed Indica's "Scissors, Paper, Rock" video.

OMG...what a terrible song!

Back to top Go down

Post by Daenerys Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:38 pm

I like Indica, own all their albums. I personally love her singing in her native language though. I love the song In Passing.
Daenerys
Daenerys
Admin

Female Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-04-23

http://winterstormusa.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:07 am

it's a nice band. not metal for sure, but nice cheesy pop rock with the melodic and melancholic influences. lyrics and song writting are also very good, which is important in this kind of music. altough more than cute faces, this band has a place in my discography, good music to hear in a summer morning or in a late sunset at the beach. not my type of music to listen more than this, but still it's good music.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:05 am

Well, I haven't been impressed with anything I've heard from them yet. That song I referred to in my above comment is over 7 minutes long, incredibly repetitive, very bland, and their live performance totally lacked in emotion. The singer had no stage presence, no power, and no emotion. The only person in the band who looked like she was having a good time was the guitarist. Even the drummer looked like she wanted to have a nap!

I guess they are just not my cup of tea, but that's OK. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorcha Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:15 pm

I saw them live to. Together with Pain they were the reason I didn't regret the NW concert I went to..

I really liked the stage presence of them. They all seemed like they had a lot of fun. And I really do like Jonssu's voice. It sounds very nice and a bit special. I like their Finnish stuff better then their new English stuff. Not only because of the lyrics and language, but mostly because of their sounds. I liked it better. But then maybe it's something to get used to. They are far from my favorite band, but they are nice to listen to at some points.
Sorcha
Sorcha

Female Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2009-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:09 am

@ Sorcha

Here is the video I was referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTj3qntjG80

I'm glad they had more energy when you saw them live because they don't look very inspired here! Even the drummer looks like she wants to take a nap! The singer looks uncomfortable and like she's not having the best of times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorcha Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:57 am

They really did a better job when I saw them live.
It was really nice then to see the guitar/bas players. Something went wrong and they couldn't seem to watch at each other without laughing. It really looked cheerfull and nice. And it sounded better..

God, I hate this new song...
Sorcha
Sorcha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:43 pm

This song is really irritating! And it has terrible lyrics. It's just...ugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorcha Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:51 pm

CanuckFan wrote:This song is really irritating! And it has terrible lyrics. It's just...ugh.

It really is. The lyrics are really on of the reasons why I liked them better in Finnish.
Sorcha
Sorcha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:23 pm

So it looks like Indica re-released the "Scissor, Paper, Rock" video and cut it down to 4:24!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfZUzk339Ng

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:04 am

How the fuck is Indica metal? I heard this band and don't care for them at all but still metal?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorcha Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:15 am

Indica isn't metal. But still they are from Finland and for some reason they show up at a lot of metal sites. This one being no exception.

And they have nice songs.
Sorcha
Sorcha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:21 am

maybe true but there should be an off topic for other finnish bands because they are not metal. Not even close

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorcha Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:22 am

Hmm. You have a point there. too bad all the mods have fled. It's a good idea.
Sorcha
Sorcha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:24 am

yes I saw the mods here are shit and Jess was one I spoke to her once on facebook and she was rude to me so I don't like her and nor do I like how she treated people here

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorcha Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:32 am

No she wasn't very sweet, especially at the end. We haven't had much luck with the mods and friends here. And Tero, the owner, doesn't seems to care either. No one of MFF staff shows its face up here xD. We are that horrible Razz
Sorcha
Sorcha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:00 pm

yes I posted on that one topic in the come as you are forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:24 am

They bring a little bit of fairytales in the life Smile
I love them! The song " In Passing" is so beautiful !

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:57 am

Kiveen wrote:They bring a little bit of fairytales in the life Smile

Oh yeah true!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down