Metal From Finland Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Finnish Metal Band

+6
Tourn
LadyDeceiver
Myste
Vlad
TeroTolkki
Sorcha
10 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Favorite Finnish Metal Band - Page 3 Empty Re: Favorite Finnish Metal Band

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:58 am

CanuckFan wrote:@Storm: I love Angtoria! That girl can sing, and she also writes excellent lyrics.

I just listened to Sonata Arctica over the weekend for the first time - it was Ecliptica. Are you guys going to crucify me if I admit here that I wasn't super keen on it? Neutral

Yeah, I also like the lyrics for Angtoria. I wonder what are these guys doing, are they up for anything new? haven't checked...

Ah, don't worry about SA tongue People love it or hate it. It's not easy to fall in the middle. And Ecliptica is quite a 'cult' album, it's like the ultimate thing for the fans of the genre, the old ones especially.. so I guess it can't be too much of an appetizer for the new listeners. But also Winterheart's Guild has a great status, while having more charming tracks (in my view). It's my favorite, so I recommend it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:05 am

@Storm

Actually, I've been listening to Silence and there are three tracks on it I am obsessed with and cannot get out of my mind: "Black Sheep" (though I don't quite get what it's about), "Last Drop Falls," and "Sing in Silence" which is so haunting and the last two lines of the song sum up an experience I've had. So...I'm going to listen to more SA and see what I find.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:13 am

CanuckFan wrote:@Storm

Actually, I've been listening to Silence and there are three tracks on it I am obsessed with and cannot get out of my mind: "Black Sheep" (though I don't quite get what it's about), "Last Drop Falls," and "Sing in Silence" which is so haunting and the last two lines of the song sum up an experience I've had. So...I'm going to listen to more SA and see what I find.

Silence is my second favorite Smile
Yeah, I imagine that "Black sheep" must be confusing. SA drew a lot of inspiration from a very good Finnish novel by Arto Paasilinna.. It's called "The Howling Miller". They wrote more than one song about this! There's also "The Cage" and one more, I think... I have read the book several times, I fell in love with it!! It's about a Finnish man whose way of life was a bit on the unusual side... and the entire community looks at him as if he's be some kind of monster, when in fact he's just longing for freedom and closeness to nature.... His existence becomes a hell because the general hate towards him... In the end, it turns out to be that he was the sane person, while everyone else had sick behavior.
I feel like reading it again Very Happy such an amazing and touching book! (and very very short, btw)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:52 am

Oh, that's interesting. I didn't know that. The lyrics make more sense with this information.
My favourite album is also Winterhear's Guild. My least favourite would be Reckoning Night.
I love Tony's Voice. I love you

Yay, I'm going to see Amorhpis on October 22th. bounce
Before The Dawn and Amoral will be the support acts. Three finnish bands on one evening. That's perfect.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:58 am

@ Storm: THANK YOU for that information! Now the song makes way more sense to me. I kept staring the lyrics while playing the song and I figured there was some literary allusion going on, but just couldn't figure out what it was.

I see SA is coming to Vancouver to open for DragonForce but I don't think I'll be able to get there and I'm pretty sure I don't want to see DragonForce. I live about a day's drive from Vancouver and it's even longer by bus.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:00 am

Ah-ha! The Howling Miller is available through Amazon Canada, so I have added it to my wish list - I'm intrigued now!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:23 am

@Arwen: hell, one nice show there.... I wish to see Before the Dawn, pretty amazing band and catchy songs for me... not to mention that they didn't let me down with the latest release...

@CanuckFan: Very Happy Alright, I hope you get that book and enjoy it! Btw, you're welcome.

speaking about confusing lyrics.... does anybody know what's Charon meaning with "Colder"?? please? Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:20 pm

children of bodom
korpiklaani
stam1na
charon
nightwish
warmen
ajattara

there are too many....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:22 am

Storm wrote:@Arwen: hell, one nice show there.... I wish to see Before the Dawn, pretty amazing band and catchy songs for me... not to mention that they didn't let me down with the latest release...

@CanuckFan: Very Happy Alright, I hope you get that book and enjoy it! Btw, you're welcome.

speaking about confusing lyrics.... does anybody know what's Charon meaning with "Colder"?? please? Neutral
well if you ask me Colder is a bit like melancholic christmas romance song, in my interpretation that is cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:15 pm

According to my last.fm statistics, my most listened to Finnish artists are:

Tarja
Nightwish I (1996-2001) (first contact with Finnish metal and metal in general)
Nightwish II (2002-2005)
Wintersun
Turisas
Amberian Dawn
Sinergy (actually I became a fan of them before really getting into NW ...)
Sonata Arctica (Ecliptica FTW!)
Apocalyptica
Finntroll
Amorphis
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Moonsorrow
Sethian
Children of Bodom (1997-1999)
Teräsbetoni
Lordi

I hope you appreciate my attempt at diplomacy Razz "Meh, their older stuff is better" - a cliché, perhaps, but I've found it to be true all too often, at least with popular artists! I'm a big power/prog hog, so my tastes might seem mainstream-ish, but often enough I've found rather obscure (at times even totally obscure) artists to be amazing! I love the demos of Nightwish and Finntroll and would still love to check out IneartheD, but I can't seem to find it anywhere ... Nightwish have some thoroughly enjoyable bonus tracks, too!

Somehow I tend to think of the years around 2000 as a "golden age of Finnish metal" but as there are still amazing newer bands such as Wintersun and Turisas I suppose it's all good Smile

I know Strato is missing in the list but I still have to find an older album anywhere at a shop, I don't get why they are so hard to come by ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:02 pm

@ Algamest: Yay, another Amberian Dawn fan!

Have you heard of/listened to Dawn of Destiny? They are German, and I totally recommend them. Excellent power metal!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:53 am

Actually, no, I don't think I've ever heard of them before. Thank you for the recommendation.

I actually found out about Amberian Dawn on Wikipedia, in April 2008. The description sounded a LOT like NW I (Sami era especially), Virtuocity rang a bell, and I liked the name, so I was curious Very Happy They're really more in the vein of neo-classical metal, more guitar-oriented but still very melodic, which is just what I tend to miss in the female-fronted scene. I saw them together with Epica last year and got autographs of the whole band. Heidi complimented me on my pretty T-shirt - it was the one with the River of Tuoni artwork, haha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:01 am

I can't get enough of Heidi's voice!

Man, I so wish I lived in Europe! I am missing out on A LOT! Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:23 pm

Almagest wrote: I love the demos of Nightwish and Finntroll and would still love to check out IneartheD, but I can't seem to find it anywhere ....

I know someone who just got ahold of the Inearthed demos.
As I would also like to hear them, I'll try to remember to ask her how she found them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:55 pm

Thank you! Smile

I've heard that some parts were recycled in Sinergy's debut.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Almagest wrote:Thank you! Smile

I've heard that some parts were recycled in Sinergy's debut.
Btw if you're interested I've got the demo tracks from The Shining, Talking Of the Trees, Vision Of Eternal Sorrow and Homeland.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:52 pm

I need to check Scythes of Bodom because I don't remember how many demos there are ... damn, it's down. Shocked Wasn't there a song called Translucent Image, too? (I believe that's the one where some part ended up in Sinergy.) Isn't Homeland a two-parter?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:01 pm

Almagest wrote:I need to check Scythes of Bodom because I don't remember how many demos there are ... damn, it's down. Shocked Wasn't there a song called Translucent Image, too? (I believe that's the one where some part ended up in Sinergy.) Isn't Homeland a two-parter?
I got Homeland Part I, I think but SOB blame it at Zarok, that retard screwed up the whole site, more info you should go to COB's Official UMF site under SOB section.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:04 am

Nobody mentioned Sentenced? Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:49 pm

I know that Zarok is responsible for that mess, they say he was far too paranoid, didn't give out any passwords for the site, etc., so no-one else could update it. Now nobody except him has access to the files.

Do you write on the COB forum, too, Ravisk? I can't remember ever seeing anyone with that nickname there, but I haven't checked the forum for a long time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:50 pm

Almagest wrote:I know that Zarok is responsible for that mess, they say he was far too paranoid, didn't give out any passwords for the site, etc., so no-one else could update it. Now nobody except him has access to the files.

Do you write on the COB forum, too, Ravisk? I can't remember ever seeing anyone with that nickname there, but I haven't checked the forum for a long time.
Yeah I wrote there as well, lols new on that site, hehe XD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:24 am

My faves (at least up to now) are:

Tarja
HIM
Nightwish
The Rasmus (I never really considered them metal, but they're in the site, so...)
Sonata Arctica
Northern Kings
Stratovarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:30 am

Hey Manxita, great to see you here, too. I didn't expect that. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:39 am

Thanks Almagest! Smile Nice to see you too! I've visited the site many times but I never registered to the forum...and a couple of days ago I decided to do it Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:15 pm

Phantom wrote:Nobody mentioned Sentenced? Razz
I have Wink And not just me! How could we have done without?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:09 am

We did mentioned SENTENCED of course!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:14 am

Nightwish (any "era" I don't care about the singer that much, it's only Tuomas that matters in the end)
Tarot
Amberian Dawn

I don't know many others, actually. I'm enthusiastic but ignorant; I like to take my time in discovering new bands, I don't go so much looking for them as wait until they just come out (as it was with Nightwish)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:04 am

Meripihka wrote:Nightwish (any "era" I don't care about the singer that much, it's only Tuomas that matters in the end)
Tarot
Amberian Dawn

I don't know many others, actually. I'm enthusiastic but ignorant; I like to take my time in discovering new bands, I don't go so much looking for them as wait until they just come out (as it was with Nightwish)

Ooooh, another Amberian Dawn fan! cheers I LOVE that band! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:06 am

Well I only have the first album, how's the second?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:07 am

Meripihka wrote:Well I only have the first album, how's the second?

The second is good!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next